11 March 2013 - What to do when your car is stolen

Last Aidiladha's eve our beloved BEV4840 was stolen...
It was last November right?
But the thing is I didnt claim the insurance until 3 months later...
Because:
1. Kereta tu dah habis bayar so we do not owe any bank any installments... If we do, we still have to keep paying until the insurance is claimed... and this only applies if you are covered under comprehensive cover and not third party...
2. My husband told me that we are covered under third party coverage until we found the insurance policy 2 months ago.

First thing we did when we discovered that our car was stolen was fight... (not that Im proud of it... we were dissapointed and upset la kot... Ye la Encik Daddy semangat nak gi korban lembu... nak balik kampung... tetibe tengok keter takde...)

If it happens to you, make a police report...
And then grieve about it... :p
Kidding.
Seriously, report to your insurance as well and submit the claim...

How?
I used Etiqa Car Insurance and they are efficient!
So I submitted the claim 3 months after the incident right.
But I didnt even have to go to their office...
Just hantar scanned copy of the police report, insurance policy, driving license, ic & the contact number of the inspector in charge to the insurance company...
Sebab inform lambat, they also asked me to send an explanation letter stating the reason of the delay and some proof that the car was indeed in my possession before it was stolen..
So I gave them an in and out record that I obtained from our apartment maintenance's office...
If not, service receipt will do.

The next day my case was already with their adjuster who contacted me and ask for a copy of my latest payslip
and fixed a date to meet my husband to see the original keys and conduct a bit of investigation...
because he was the last driver before the theft.

It took the adjuster 2-3 days to finalized their report before passing the case back to the claim department...

A few days later I received an offer letter from Etiqa...
If the amount offered is agreeable, I was requested to fill up a couple of forms and get JPJ to confirm that the car really belongs to me (went to JPJ Maju Junction at 9am. The officer just signed and stamped the form for me. Simple as that).
I was also required to surrender both original keys and the car's grant to them.
So I just couriered everything to them...
Two weeks later they told me that the cheque is ready...
Simple as that.

So yesterday we bought another Wira...
8.5k cash... no loan no debt no worry...
InsyaAllah...
With the insurance claim, I only need to add 1.5k.. which is still a good deal...

The colour is the same as the old one...the interior is almost the same only better...
And the paint is of course 'newer'...
I trust Wira's engine... the old one never failed on me...
hopefully this one will not too...
Most importantly in case of emergency, we dont have to borrow other people's car..

I am grateful to this friend though...
who has been so kind to lend us his car evey now and then...
I am eternally grateful!
Else we would not be able to attend my FIL' burial...

Tomorrow Encik Daddy will go and pick up the car...
And I will make sure that the alarm works at all time!
Our beloved Bevvy will remain in our memory...
Photo of the day:



These are the big bosses who approved the Wira as Bevvy's replacement...


BEV in memory - June 2007
Xoxo


No comments: